Gemstone Energy Management

Helping to produce

sustainable buildings for a healthy planet

Residential EPC

Our service provides all that is needed to gain an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for a Residential Dwelling.

Any building which is not a commercial building is considered to be a residential (domestic) dwelling and will require an EPC if it is rented or sold. Building Control will also require an EPC before they can 'sign off' a new building.

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

An EPC demonstrates the energy efficiency of a dwelling at the completion of construction. Furthermore when constructing a new dwelling, energy calculations are required in order to demonstrate compliance with the Building Regulations. The Government also utilises these calculations to fulfil its energy reduction mandates to the European Union. Before issuing an EPC for a property it is required that a Standard Assessment Procedure (SAP) calculation is performed on the property.

back to top

Standard Assessment Procedure (SAP)

The Building Regulations, Part L in Eng & Wales and Part F in Northern Ireland, aim to ensure minimum standards are adhered to whenever new dwellings are constructed. The prescribed method for demonstrating that minimum standards have been achieved with regards to the energy efficiency requirements is to perform a (SAP) calculation on the property.

back to top

Reduced Standard Assessment Procedure (rdSAP)

The energy assessment procedure for an existing dwelling is somewhat simpler than that required for a new build and the calculation method is referred to as an rdSAP.

To summarise:

  • You need a SAP (or rdSAP) calculation to gain an EPC
  • You need an EPC to rent, sell or 'sign off' a dwelling

back to top

Predicted Energy Assessments (PEAs)

All new buildings should have an 'as designed' energy assessment undertaken before actual commencement of building takes place. These energy assessments produce a Predicted Energy Assessment (PEA) report. Such a report can be used by the client, architect and builder to aid discussion about improving energy efficiency and eliminating potential problems. For 'new builds' it is extremely important to understand the issues of domestic EPC compliance at the design stage. Once the building has been completed we will undertake a final survey and produce an EPC.

back to top

Extensions and Consequential Improvements to a building (compSAPs)

An EPC applies to the overall dwelling, hence adding an extension does not neccessarily require a seperate EPC however you may need to have an energy assessment to demonstrate compliance with the Building Regulations. This type of assessments is often referred to as a comparative SAP (compSAP)

PDF documentDownload the official EPC guide for Dwellings (699KB, 34 pages)

For further information please phone Dr Richard Owen on 01485 544637 or email .