Gemstone Energy Management

Helping to produce

sustainable buildings for a healthy planet

Commercial EPC

Our service provides all that is needed to gain an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for a commercial building.

Any building which is not a domestic dwelling is considered to be a commercial building and will require an EPC if it is rented or sold. There are a few exemptions, such as places of worship, buildings scheduled for demolition or temporary buildings.

Anyone involved with a commercial property should seek expert advice as to whether they need a EPC or not, as failure to comply can cause stringent penalties.

There is a considerable difference in the procedures for gaining an EPC on a domestic dwelling as opposed to a commercial property. Dwellings have to be assessed by a qualified Domestic Energy Assessor (DEA) whereas Commercial Buildings require a Non-Domestic Energy Assessor (NDEA). In the Commercial sector properties are classified by different Levels which are based on factors about the property itself. A Non-Domestic Energy Assessor has to be qualified for the particular property Level that they are assessing.

back to top

Standard Building Energy Model(SBEM)

The Building Regulations, Part L in Eng & Wales and Part F in Northern Ireland, aim to ensure minimum standards are adhered to wherever buildings are constructed. The prescribed method for demonstrating that minimum standards have been achieved with regards to the energy efficiency requirements is to perform a (SBEM) calculation on the property.

The inspection required in order to provide a commercial EPC is very thorough and the time taken to compile the report could be anything from a day for a small lock-up shop, to over a week for larger commercial premises. It includes:

  • Inspection of the buildings plans
  • Analysis of the buildings design
  • Analysis of the buildings fabric and what the building is being used for
  • Analysis of the buildings structure and calculations on insulation measures that are in place
  • Analysis of Lighting, Heating and Air Conditioning Systems
  • Production of reports, graphs and diagnostics

back to top

Recommendation Reports

Along with your commercial EPC a recommendaton report is also provided. This report will suggest how to increase the energy efficiency of your property with a view to reducing running costs and the impact on the environment.

back to top

New Buildings - Predicted Energy Assessments (PEAs)

All new buildings should have an 'as designed' energy assessment undertaken before actual commencement of building takes place. These energy assessments produce a Predicted Energy Assessment (PEA) report. Such a report can be used by the client, architect and builder to aid discussion about improving energy efficiency and eliminating potential problems. For 'new builds' it is extremely important to understand the issues of commercial EPC compliance at the design stage. Once the building has been completed we will undertake a final survey and produce an EPC.

back to top

Public Buildings - Display Energy Certificates (DECs)

It is now a requirement by law for all publicly administered buildings with a floor area over 250 m2 to have on public display a Display Energy Certificates (DEC). These certificates are similar to EPCs but are calculated in a different way and show information about a buildings past energy comsumption.

Extensions - Consequential Improvements

An EPC applies to the overall building, hence adding an extension or changing services does not neccessarily require a seperate EPC however you may need to have an energy assessment to demonstrate compliance with the Building Regulations. This type of assessments is often referred to as a consequential improvement

Whether you run a small retail unit, a chain of factory units or a large complex office block Gemstone Energy Management are well-placed to ensure that you are compliant with the new laws, and can help plan how to accurately and efficiently manage your commercial property.

PDF documentDownload the official EPC guide for non-dwellings 639KB, 50 pages

For further information please phone Dr Richard Owen on 01485 544637 or email .